October 26, 2016

Yayoi Kusama

What better way to enjoy "clay drying week" than to create some Pumpkins... RIGHT BEFORE HALLOWEEN!

Japanese Artist Yayoi Kusama is this weeks project inspiration.   
My experience this week has been interesting.  This week has been the first project that I have started out "traditionally".  Students were introduced to the artist history, shown a variety of work, then discussion of the art elements and principles began.  The demonstration at the beginning of the week was detailed and too long creating too many rules and restrictions.  Each student struggled with making their art look like mine.  I wanted to scream. My "pre-TAB" self got frustrated that the kids weren't making their art look like the sample.  YES this is how I thought art should be taught.  This was the first week I heard "Can I be done?"
I died.

It is Wednesday and I have let go of the reigns.
What I have changed:
My demo is almost non existent.  I quickly show them three different ways you can draw a pumpkin.. then tell them all centers are open. 
The intro and discussion has stayed the same...But wow, this change has made a world of difference.
Now the kids are choosing more centers to express themselves.
Students are sponge, splatter, stamping, cutting up their art to make it their own.
I have not heard "Can I be done?" yet.
I love.