September 13, 2016

Welcome Back to School Karigon! Transitioning to TAB?!?!?!

Yes Karigon, I have decided to transition to TAB Learning for Karigon Elementary School.  This decision comes after two years of "sitting on" the idea after discovering TAB via one of my new students.  It was 2 years ago that one of my 'new to Karigon' 5th Grade students didnt like my lesson.  He claimed that "in my old school if I didn't like the lesson.. I didn't have to do it.".  Highly skeptical of his statement but TOTALLY intrigued by his conviction I asked the student the name of his old school.  That afternoon I reached out to the school's art teachers with investigative uncertainty.  The reply... YES! that was the way the school taught art.  I WAS FLOORED.
They later went on in the response sharing the practice of TAB teaching.. which is TEACHING ARTISTIC BEHAVIORS.  This allows choice in the art room and students are treated like artists rather than art reproduction machines.  I immediately shared this method with my peers and held on to the idea ... I guess until the right time.

The time is NOW.  During the summer I met with two other Shenendehowa Art Teachers that were eager to explore this TAB Learning style.  With the approval from our Administrator we began planning and scheming how our rooms would function.   After the first week of school, I am happy to report that the Centers are working great!  I travel between schools and I hope that this wont ruin my plan to keep a TAB classroom.

This week we are staring choice based art! This style art is all about CHOICE and encouraging Problem Solving Learners.  Please notice the smile of this student that has explored the DRAWING CENTER.

  • Week 1 - THE DRAWING CENTER
Students are encouraged to EXPLORE all Drawing TOOLS in our Drawing center!
These include PENCIL, PEN, CRAYON, COLOR PENCIL, MARKERS AND OIL PASTELS.
I am very excited about the outcome!  
Next week: Then PAINTING CENTER!